Wednesday 27 July 2011

The Untitled Post

So I saw some of the criticism about my "negative review". I would like to take some time out to state a few points.

I hoped those that criticised took some time out to take a look at this.




About my review being hurtful to fandoms. Firstly, I would like to say that despite enjoying my fair share of K-pop, I am not immune to some of its flaws.

I also do not believe that all acts are flawless. There is rarely such a thing as absolute perfection in artistry (though it does happen). I know that my fandoms do have their flaws, and I am not afraid of discussing them.

Everybody is slightly flawed in that one way or another, including said writer.

However, when viewed as a whole, I still support them due to my admiration of their strengths, my acceptance of their flaws and that little thing in them called "charm and charisma".

It's okay to love something I dislike. I perfectly respect the subjectivity in music taste, and it's okay to think your own thing, and like it.

I think at the end of the day, it's all about this little word called "respect". I have my own opinions, and you have your own. Although we can disagree and discuss, to go below the belt and bash on other things, it's another level.

About the music:

When I said it's an album review, it meant that I looked at all aspects of it, that is every song. For a single review, I look at the song, it's MV and the overall execution.

Marks are given based on pluses and negatives, and always there is praise where due.

On the tunes: I look at the layering, the arrangements, and how it adds up as a whole. To me it's not just about being "a sticky song", there is definitely more to music than it just sticking in one's head like a ear worm.

Lyrics I tend to look less at, unless there is something very powerful about them. Props are given to well thought out lines, less so for downright inane ones.

I do have standards. They are not exactly high, but they help sort out good from average, and average from no.

Rant over, I apologise for angering fans. However it's nothing personal, it's just music.

2 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for the awesome speech you made, if this post is directed at someone in particular, I hope you would bring it up directly to him/her. No point complaining here since he/she won't be able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anon It's not aimed at anybody, and not complaining. I just know I cannot please everybody all the time.

    ReplyDelete